Based on the conversations on the admin list and here
on wine-devel, it seems like a good time to discuss
the whole approach to packaging used by Wine.

The first thing I wanted to discuss was what we should
provide to users on the winehq.com website, when
a user clicks the 'Download' button.

I propose that the user see the following ordered
list (and that the list be presented in a nice,
friendly way):

    1.  How to get Wine from CVS and build it
    2.  How to get source tarballs of the snapshots
        Alexandre releases
    3.  RPM and DEB packages of Wine, *unstripped*,
        built from the snapshots
    4.  A link to other places (i.e. what exists
        today) where they could get stripped
        versions of Wine, if they want to do that
        to us poor, suffering, Wine hackers.

When we release Wine 1.0, the top of the list
would be stripped, packaged RPM and DEB files.

Obviously, the main thrust I'm trying to set
up is encouraging users to build Wine from
source (at this time), or at least to use
a version with symbolic info so we can
get decent bug reports.

Thoughts?

Jer