Actually, it's a fascinating problem - I've been bit by it, badly.

Wine works fine with a Win4lin kernel, so long as you build
it from source.  If you try to take a binary built on a non
Win4lin kernel, you get an unhandled exception when your
app starts to run, with a problem in the ThunkConnect32 area.

Similarly, if you take a binary that you built on your Win4lin
kernel, and give that binary to someone on a non Win4lin kernel,
they see the exact same problem.

So, it works with Win4lin, sorta.

Jer