This is a re-post of a message I managed to get to Ferenc Wagner, but due to my stupidity, didn't get to the mailing list:

Ferenc Wagner wferi-at-afavant.elte.hu |Wine Mailing Lists| wrote:
Do we need attributes like hidden, system, etc?
                                                Feri.

Can't really answer your question, but on the kernel mailing list, There has been some discussion of whether these attributes should be exposed from mounted fat partitions: The fat fs maintainer has a patch, and is wondering what to do with it. (The patch exposes the fat attributes as extended attributes)

See the thread titled "[RFC] ioctl vs xattr for the filesystem specific
attributes".

Hope this helps
        -Rob.