Alexandre Julliard wrote:
My version of Xrandr doesn't need Xrender so I hoped it wouldn't be
needed, guess I was wrong.... what does it need Xrender for?

The problem with the dependency is that currently we deliberately
don't link to libXrender but load it dynamically so that it works on
all platforms; so I guess we'll need to load libXrandr dynamically
too.

Without it, I get:

configure:7306: checking for XRRSetScreenConfigAndRate in -lXrandr
configure:7337: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -I/usr/X11R6/include  conftest.c -lXrandr
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11  -lm  >&5
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so: undefined reference to `XRenderSetSubpixelOrder'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7340: $? = 1

I'm not really sure why that would be needed. What version are you using? Maybe I'm out of date? My system is RedHat 9 and I haven't done anything to upgrade the XFree86 (it's all version 4.3.0).

Alex