One more thing I noticed about resolution changing:

Sometimes a program running with Wine terminates without cleaning everything up. When XVidMode is used to switch resolutions, the user can use ctrl-alt-plus/minus to restore the resolution.

Those don't work when the resolution was changed with RandR. A user would need to run
xrandr -s 0
to restore it. Since that may be hard for some to remember, is it worth including a trivial Winelib program that does the same thing?
ChangeDisplaySettings(NULL, 0);
is all it needs to do to restore the default mode.

I have been testing using a simple program that puts up a dialog box listing all the modes and lets you choose them. Is that worth including somewhere/merging with winecfg?

Alex