poking around I find that the for loop in DEBUG_RegisterStabsDebugInfo (in programs/winedbg/msc.c) never finds the .stab or .stabstr sections... not sure if they are really there or not. For example, for ntdll, it finds only .data and .text.... Not sure what's really wrong here; for now, it's my bedtime :P

do you mean the one in msc.c or the one in stabs.c ?
the one in msc.c is only used to support PE modules when compiled under mingw. The one you're interested in is in stabs.c (it's for ELF modules).
A+

--
Eric Pouech