Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Maybe we can get our supplied packages to be BiDi enabled, but so long as we use ICU, and ICU has this horrible linking policy, we can't really

What linking policy?

I checked the IBM ICU website (http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/ and specifically http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icu/license.html and it appears to be under the X11 licence which is GPL compatible.

IANAL but unless there is something I missed, I see no reason why debian couldnt include ICU (and hence WINE with ICU support) in the debian package system.

The problem is not a legal one. The problem is a technological one. ICU is mangling the library's version into the symbols, making it impossible to dynamically link the library. As a result, most distros don't carry ICU as a package.

            Shachar