Hi,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:44:31AM -0400, Alex Zeiger wrote:
> I'm interested in possibly working on USB support for Wine. I'm not
> particularly familiar with USB programming, but I'm fluent in C and C++.
> Where do I start?
Ah, FINALLY, after so many USB user requests, someone actually wants to get
something done :)

You need to figure out how Windows implements USB support (I don't have
the slightest clue either, sorry).
Try searching on http://search.microsoft.com to figure out if you should
implement a VxD or .sys driver DLL in Wine or so.
I'm quite sure it should be possible somehow, without any operating system
ring 0 issues or so (after all you're writing your own Wine driver, so it
should be fairly doable).
On the Linux side, of course you should interface to the USB stack (fairly
obvious anyway ;).
One plea: please don't implement that for oldish 2.4.x USB stack, start with
the new 2.6.x USB stack (adding support for the older 2.4.x stack later
is pretty easy anyway IMHO).
It might be that you actually need to implement your own Wine-USB Linux driver
(for interfacing to the non-privileged Wine application side, via ioctls or so).

Good luck, and keep asking if you run into problems!

Andreas Mohr