When I try to read you email in pine I get:
  [ Part 1, Application/X-PKCS7-MIME  11KB. ]
  [ Cannot display this part. Press "V" then "S" to save in a file. ]

So to read it I would have to save it as a file and then try to figure
out how to read it (or wait for some other wine-devel subscriber to
quote it in a reply, thanks Mike<g>). I have also heard reports that it
causes some versions of mutt to crash. I don't know what happens if one
tries to read it in emacs (which is what Alexandre uses) but if it is
anything like pine or mutt this may explain the lack of response.

Firstly let's get the email format discussion out of the way:

To be fair, this seems to be Mutt/Pine sucking. The email source is a very standard multipart/mixed HTML+text mail which is the de-facto standard outside of geek mailing lists :) There's nothing magic about it, if somebodies email client can't read it, it seems to be broken. Unless something between me and wine-devel washed it into a more standard format (unlikely, never heard of it)

I'm not sure where application/x-pkcs7-mime came from. That string doesn't appear in the email at all.

The sending client is Outlook. Any email client that can't receive mail from Outlook needs some bugfixing, I think, standards or not.

Finally I'll note than an 'empty' email like this is pretty likely to be
confused with spam or email sent by a worm with a spoofed email address
as is unfortunately so common these days. That's another factor that may
explain the lack of response.

It's not empty. It's form is totally standard, I get emails like this all the time. In fact it was scanned by SpamAssassin:

... and didn't trigger any rules at all. While posting as plain text to wine-devel makes sense, let's not roast this guy for a strange quirk of ourselves :)

So I would recommend reconfiguring your email agent to send plain text
emails, at least when posting to public mailing lists.

Agreed.

Now that's done with:

- Alexandres email address is on the website, it's [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  but the best way to reach him is via this mailing list

- Alexandre is a very busy man who receives a metric ton of email. If he
  didn't respond it's probably nothing personal: more likely it just got
  lost in the noise.

And as others have mentioned, the best way to contribute to Wine is the same way everybody else does: by sending patches.

thanks -mike