On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Walt Ogburn wrote:
[...]
What is the reason for this difference?  Which example should new tests
follow?  My guess is that LoadLibraryA and GetProcAddress are used if the
headers, DLLs, and APIs might not be present on some Windows machines, so
that the tests don't fail.

If the API is not going to be available on all Windows systems, then use LoadLibrary()+GetProcAddress() so we can at least run the other parts of the test on these platforms. In extreme cases you may have to tweak the test so it does not link at all with the dll it's supposed to test if that dll may be missing on some Windows versions (e.g. Windows 95 or 98).

Otherwise just use the standard header+link method. If in doubt, go with with the header+link method and someone will fix the test if it does not compile/run on Windows anymore.

If that's correct, is there a list somewhere
of which ones are safe and which ones should be handled like in the
olefont test?

The MSDN may tell you that the API is Windows 200+ or some such. But that's not very reliable: it's quite possible the API is there and just returns ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED or some such.

-- Francois Gouget [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fgouget.free.fr/ Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.