Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:58:14AM +0100, Robert van Herk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to Mike's help, I succeeded in showing a SHBrowseForFolder
> thingy, in the winecfg program, so that people can pick a directory they
> want to use as virtual C drive.
>
> However, ofcourse, this directory choosing thingy shows the virtual
> Windows file system, not the Unix file system. Hence, I think we have a
> tiny bootstrapping problem here. If I just show the user his windows
> file system, he might not be able to pick the directory he wants.
I should have told you that before, since I've realized that yesterday already.

> Is Z:\ always mapped to the root of the unix file system? Because that
> would seem to solve it: just let them choose a directory from Z:\ and
> then probably modify the returned string by removing Z: and replacing
> all /'s bij \'s.
Hopefully it isn't: you may not always want to expose the full directory
tree to dear little John Rogue Windows program, not even in (by default)
mostly read-only access...

IOW, there should be a mechanism which allows to establish a temporary
root mapping during winecfg configuration only.
However this would require some explanation for the user, since it's not
entirely obvious why a drive mapping that existed during configuration won't
exist later on.
But OTOH this shouldn't be a problem anyway if you clearly list all defined
mappings in an obvious list and only have that temporary mapping available
during the browser dialog.

Andreas Mohr