--On Monday, January 03, 2005 1:15 PM -0500 Kuba Ober <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I suspect that something else is going on that probably has little to do
with  wine but a lot to do with that application's memory access
patterns.  Hyperthreading has known cases in which if memory is the
contention source,  running two threads on same physical CPU but separate
logical ones will slow  things down.

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find out more about that so I can pass it upstream to the app's devs.

Since wine is a multi-process thingo, probably the application process
and  wineserver have been thrasing that single CPU's caches by trying to
run  concurrently on two logical CPUs. If you have SMP HT machine, it'd
be safest  methinks to run the app locked to one logical CPU on given
physical CPU, and  the wineserver on either the same logical CPU or on a
different physical CPU.

I hope I make sense :)

Yep, given your first paragraph. Thanks for the details.