Ingo Molnar wrote:

It would be nice if someone with a proper Wine test-setup could check
whether _negative_ renicing of highprio Windows threads solves the
scheduling problems. In fact you could even try to map Windows
priorities (16 levels available to nonprivileged users?) to the nice
range of -7...+7, and run the test as root so that the renicing
succeeds.

Ingo

I did something like that. I ran wineserver as root and a user wine app with same WINEPREFIX. The priorities work as expected and it was working for the mediocre app I had at the time. As Jeremy said, it is never the right way to do it programmatically.

I was working on a system where wine is installed by an "administrator" Linux user with some privileges and all users shared the same wineprefix. (Multi-user wine, a bit like the NT model.) I abandoned it because of the problem I had with multiple displays. And also my Linux IT knowledge is not up to it so I had problems with file access and stuff