Jason Couture wrote:
How hard would it be to introduce a "Re-Compiler" instead of an interpreter? To convert PE -> ELF without having the source. The output would not have to be a user runnable file maybe just a cache? Possiable Speed up? To avoid copyright issues maybe the elf could require the pe to run? In my experience JIT Compiling or interpreting is much slower than a recompiled program... Let me know what you people think.

Wine is not an interpreter or a JIT compiler. It is a binary loader, so it loads a Windows program into memory, and jumps to the start address. The program itself will run exactly the same way as on a Windows machine, expect for the times when it calls an API function in a "builtin" or Wine implemented DLL.

Mike