Dan Kegel wrote:
Andrew Bartlett wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:48 -0700, Daniel Kegel wrote:

Apologies if this is an old idea, but:

Tridge's remarks in his recent interview make me think
maybe Wine should be using the same NTVFS layer that
Samba4 does.   Who knows, maybe it'd be an easy fit...

This is an idea I like, and while I don't think it will become the default way wine operates ever, I wonder if a suitable abstraction layer might assist us.

I see it this way - wine will need a full NTFS redirector at some point,
to correctly handle remote fileystems.  Why is the local disk any
different from a remote redirected filesystem?  Samba could be hooked in
at this point (and my even assist in providing access to those remote
files).

I suppose one could do it that way, but I was thinking
of turning Samba4's NTVFS layer into an ELF shared library

On second thought, NTVFS ought to move into the Linux kernel. Then both Samba and Wine would use native NTFS Win32 API calls implemented by Linux directly.

And then monkeys would fly out of my butt...
- Dan

--
Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See
http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html