Alexander Efremov wrote:
Hello Michael,

You might be tempted to pursue another,
much more ambitious alternative by
making something like 'minwine' analogous to
mingw32, i.e. strip Wine down to the parts that
can just link into a normal linux app.  It would have
to be able to load video codec DLLs to be useful,
which might be difficult.  I wouldn't try this route
if you want to get anything done and usable in
the short term.

Isn't this exactly what mplayer is doing? Afair "look at how mplayer is
doing" was a much used answer to people wanting to connect to their Windows DLLs which did few or no Win32 calls at all.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do right now. The question is if
they have the *general* solution for any *.dll or an adhoc approach
Nope, it is not a general solution, it works only for the codecs dlls which seem to have a well defined API. Don't know exact details as i never looked at that code or Wine code in that area.

for each *.dll they used. Did anyone try to repeat their trick or
use their wrapper ?
Projects that used similar techniques are CaptiveNTFS and maybe NDIS Wrapper.

bye
        michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart