On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:50:17 +0100, Francois Gouget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
I find killing it by hand labourious so I used the following command to clean up and have now defined it as an alias to make life easier.

pgrep wine|while read p; do kill -9 $p ; done;

You should try out pkill to simplify it even further.

[...]
in fact it seems even  cant clean up some times.

Besides the zombie processes mentionned before, some processes may be stopped (e.g. by the debugger) and won't die until you send them a CONT signal.

Thanks for all the replies, wineserver -k usually works but I still get some processes I cant kill:

15015 pts/5 Tl 0:01 /usr/bin/wine-preloader /usr/bin/wine-pthread natspeak

kill -9 15015
kill -9 15015
kill -9 15015

 is not able to kill this.

closing the xterm did in this case lay it to rest.

Thanks again.