On 11/10/05, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Stefan Dösinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >    Note that we are running the exact same application here -
> > > savihost.exe. It's just renamed to the VST instrument name to tell it
> > > what VSTi instrument to run.On our systems, both 32-bit and 64-bit, we
> > > see about 15% usr, 85% sys when running Crystal, while we see only 5%
> > > usr, 5% sys when running Triangle.
> > >
> > > WHY?
> > I haven't tried to reproduce it myself, but I have 2 questions
> >
> > * Appart of eating up all CPU time, does the application work? Does it what
> > it's supposed to do?
>
> Yes, within reason all the VSTs that we have tried, if they work at
> all, do what they are supposed to do. There are still a large number
> of VSTs that don't work under Wine but things are MUCH better with
> Wine-0.9 AND using Savihost. Until recently there were other
> strategies for running VSTs in Linux. Using Savihost is fairly new for
> Linux. (The last month or so)
>
> Note that while it works it is using CPU and stopping other apps from
> getting as much as they would like to get.
> >
> > * How does the application perform in Windows? Maybe it's an application
> > bug,
> > and the same thing happens in Windows.
> >

> Good question. I haven't tested this specific one (Crystal) in
> Windows. I'll try to do that. I will say that I _think_ there are MANY
> Windows VSTs that when run with Savihost and Wine are using 100% CPU.
> I do not _think_ that all of these (if any) have this problem under
> Windows, but I will look at it today.

Hi Stefan,
   OK, I'm writing you from my Win XP box. (I haven't used this
machine in weeks!) I tested both Crystal and Triangle I. They both
work as expected. Neither use much CPU power according to task
manager.

   The problem does seem to be a Wine issue.

   NOTE - I do not think this is somethign new. I've seen programs
running under Wine in the past using 100% CPU, but they were big
complicated programs and not available freely so it would have been
hard to work on. I think with the information I've given in the first
post this should be something more people should be able to look at
more easily.

Cheers,
Mark