Brian Vincent wrote:
On 4/16/06, Rich Gilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I must say, the turn this conversation has taken is interesting.  In response
to what was written above, it does seem to me a curious precedent Alexandre
has set.  After all, wasn't Wine developed to allow people to get AWAY from
Windows?  Yet, when we go to make a GUI toolkit to make it accessible to the
masses, what are we told?  Why, write it for Windows, of course.

1.  You never mentioned what you want this "front-end" to do.  I think that's pretty important to whatever you're talking about.  Seems to me it might fit in with winecfg or something else that already exists.

2.  Did you read the thread(s) about rewriting WineTools that occurred over the past few months?  Are you reinventing that wheel?

3.  Putting a GUI toolkit dependency on Wine will never make everyone happy.  Even worse, you can't even make a majority of people happy.  If you assume GNOME or KDE are available, you're assuming you're running on Linux.

-Brian

Why not use Motif/Lesstif? Sure, it's ugly, but I like it, it's available with most major distributions, exists on non-Linux targets, and a precompiled binary of OpenMotif is provided with Sun Java 1.5/Linux

Then there's the question "OpenMotif or Lesstif, hmm...", which is answered by ./configure, and I say defult to Lesstif on Linux binaries, Motif on solaris.