"Kuba Ober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's lunacy! Just ship the damn prebuilt files until the time is ripe
> to take them out. Of course the sources should be kept there all the time
> as well.

So if a version of gcc got released that didn't produce correct
libraries then we should add all of the .so files to the Wine tree? What
a good idea!

I think you carried the analogy a bit too far: fontforge is a relatively obscure tool, compared to gcc.

Of course, the fix is to try to add a configure check for the incorrect
ttf files that fontforge produces, or otherwise a version check, as has
already been discussed.

Well, if someone wants to do more work for the sake of argument, then I guess we live in a free world. But still, the fonts are such a fringe part of wine that I just can't see any extra work to be worth it. For a while one can just consider fontforge to be a "proprietary" tool, and wine would just ship the sources and resulting fonts. It's just a matter of being practical.

Looks like you are not aware how much pain gcc bugs (like a strength-reduce bug)
have caused to Wine. That just again suggests to people to use pre-built Wine
packages from a good packager who knows what he does, or just go to wine-users.

--
Dmitry.