On 5/10/06, Mike McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think win32 and NPTL threads are compatible already.

Golly.

The issues I see for are reserving the right memory areas, setting up
the large stack, establishing a connection to the Wine server and
setting up the segment registers (%fs) so that the thread and process
structures are correct.

If somebody were to implement this for SoC, then I'd suggest they make a
small static library to link against projects that want to import
Windows DLLs using Wine, and then expose LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress
somehow...

That all sounds pretty doable.

I don't think this is good for an SoC project, because the changes are
small, and you'll spend more time arguing with Alexandre about the right
way to do it than doing actual coding.

The changes may sound small to you, but they're probably a
month's work for a newbie.  The student could then spend the
second month converting some open source project that
currently has a hacked, embedded copy of Wine to use
vanilla wine, maybe.    I think it's perfectly appopriate,
especially if we consider it a proof of concept and not something that
has to be integrated into the Wine tree by end of summer
to be a success.
- Dan