James Hawkins schrieb:
On 6/2/06, Aneurin Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How about setting a standard that will be used in the repository, and
providing the indent commands to set it that way, then indenting *every
file* in the repository to that standard. Then every developer can use
indent or whatever equivalent they prefer when they checkout, if they
don't like the chosen style.

Our coding standard is that there shall be no coding standard.  As was
stated before, whoever creates the file, their style is the style that
should be used when anyone makes changes to that file.
The question is in how far that really works in reality. Even when leaving
such (imho) minor things like K&R or not, spaces after if or not,etc aside.
Just look at the tabs vs. space issue:
I don't really have a problem with both of them but mixing them is imo the
worst thing that could happen.

And things like this:
(tabs = underscore, space = dots)

...if() {
______int foo;
______if() {
______.....do_something();
......_____for()
......_____....do_somethingelse();
______}
....}
(and yes you really find things like this)

are just UGLY and if you don't have the exact same tabsize settings like the
author
you get complete "garbage".

Granted, I probably haven't even seen the majority of the source code and maybe
I just found
one of the few negative examples, but imho some kind of consensus here would be
definitly a good thing.

4-space indention and using spaces instead of tabs already seems to be most used
setting, so why not enforce it for everybody?