Wierd_w wrote:
Markus Amsler wrote:
Adding hinting is IMO a second step.

This is incorrect. The metric EM size per point size
is also 'Hintable' with real TrueType instructions,
and Tahoma DOES do this. (I can tell, because I ran
this test case just today-- Notice how the fonts start
being pretty much identically kerned and spaced after
about 15pt. Since wine is STUCK using Type-1 hints
with FontForge, I built a Type-1 hinted .OTF with
Postscript formatted outlines for the test.)
I would say, that's THE reason why to put TTF files into wines source.
Have you done the "width hinting"?

Depending on how far you want to go, you have 3
options as I see them:

1) (Best,but unlikely, due to the intense effort
required) You fix FontForge to support TTF
instructions natively, so that it can build a suitable
TTF hinted font file, then scream at FreeType to
support them more "Sanely."

2) Use the Type-1 font that is correct at sizes 15 and
up, and use a bitmapped font for sizes below that and
have WINE perform the substitution.

3) Adapt FontForge to inject SBIT record data
(Basically bitmapped font data) directly into a
generated OTF, and trump the rasterizer totally for
these point sizes.
4) Drop SFD->TTF conversion and add a "width hinted" TTF font.