After considerable digging the problems with sound in Alice were traced to a bad software load. While digging another thing came to our attention that may be of interest to others. When we put in the latest fixes to FC6 Wine quit running. This was traced to the fact that the latest fixes contain a set of fixes for the X server and replace the open GL library. The drivers posted by Nvidia, which were installed, have their own GL library and will not work with the RH GL library. If you install an update to FC and are using the Nvidia drivers reinstall the drivers if things in the X server quit working. This is true even if the kernel version is not changed.