On 6/21/07, Domagoj Babic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On 6/21/07, Michael Stefaniuc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem with NULL pointer dereferences is that those may be valid.
> If a function crashes in Windows on a NULL pointer dereference Wine
> should/has do the same.

Why?

Several apps depend on these 'bugs'.

Wine is meant to run software "written for windows". I doubt that
many people use Wine as a platform to write software intended for windows.
So, if you run all the applications the Windows run, just better, what's wrong
with that?

If we don't conform to the API, it's not better.  Like I said before,
we've run into bugs where an app is expecting an exception, and it
won't work if it doesn't get it.

Bug compatiblity is overpriced in many situations, I think this is one of them.

How is it overpriced?  It's significantly easier to conform exactly to
the test suite results then it is to pick willy nilly that we're going
to deviate from the API.

Anyways, Wine reports are on my todo list, I'll get back to you as soon as
I find time to check them out and postprocess a bit.

--
James Hawkins