On 7/9/07, Markus Amsler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We have to distinguish between win16 and dos tests.

Absolutely. dos .com executables currently don't work,
but win16 .exe's with the same contents do work.

I plan to test DOS .com files using very simple pure assembly.
(That was the real way to write DOS programs anyway :-)

IMO it should be possible to run them with make test like
any other test. And if openwatcom/turbo c is available it should be
possilbe to run make crosstest to build win16/dos binaries.

For dos I had a test (I think I really have lost it) which compiled on
linux with gcc and in dos6.2 with turbo C. In linux/wine it emulated an
interrupt with DOSVM_EmulateInterruptPM, and in dos it used real
interrupts. I'm not sure whether this approach would be acceptable, but
I was able to run make test and build dos binaries from the same sources.

Sounds like too much magic for me.  I would rather simply
require openwatcom; it's free software.

For win16 I have no idea what thunking/linking voodoo is required.

No voodoo required; openwatcom Just Works.

Its perhaps also noteworthy that wines win16 implementation differs
fundamentally from the windows one. Wine calls win32 functions, while
windows calls dos functions (directly or via vdm).

Shouldn't affect our tests, though, should it?
- Dan