On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:34:14PM +0100, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> [...]
>> What about apps that fail to include a necessary third-party library?

>> If I understand the AppDB comments and followed the IRC discussion
>> correctly, Warcraft 3's latest patch (1.22) was built with a newer
>> Visual Studio and so requires new Visual C runtimes, while previous
>> versions did not. And the patcher doesn't install these runtimes.

> If you don't need to manually install the third-party library on a stock
> installation of the application's officially supported Windows platform
> (e.g. Wow on Windows XP), then you should not need to manually install
> it in Wine. If you do, then that application cannot be rated platinum.

True, but not the point I'm talking about.

On a stock install of Windows XP, you'd have to go get the runtimes and
install them, same as under a stock Wine prefix.

On a well-used Windows XP install, you most likely already have the
Visual Studio 7 runtimes installed, so won't notice the flaw in the
installer. Same as under a well-used Wine prefix.

To my mind, this shouldn't prevent the application being rated platinum.

The maintainer of Warcraft 3 rather feels that until Wine implements the
Visual Studio 7 runtime libraries as builtins, Warcraft 3 cannot be
rated platinum.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
paul.hamp...@pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/