Hi Michael,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Michael Griepentrog
<mgriepent...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> I'm primarily interested in improving the Wine experience on OS X. I read
> pages from http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX, but I'm not sure how much of that
> reflects the current direction of Wine development on Mac. What are the
> immediate needs for improving Wine on OS X? Off hand, I know Wine doesn't
> compile on Snow Leopard as a 64-bit binary
> (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=31321), but it seems like this issue
> isn't limited to OS X. I'm also curious about the status of the Quartz
> driver, and if it's something that is still being pursued. Creating a binary
> distributable also seems like something that should be addressed, but I
> understand that isn't necessarily easy given how applications are "installed"
> on OS X.

A quartz driver is far beyond the scope of a SoC project.  Stay away from that.

Otherwise, you might want to play around with Wine on MacOS yourself
for a while, and get the hang of it.  It becomes pretty clear pretty
quickly that using a Windows app on MacOS doesn't "feel" much like a
Mac app.  Much of that we can't change, but some of it could be
better.  It looks and behaves more like a UNIX port, which of course
it is, so if you can think of ways to improve it, that'll go some ways
toward a credible application.  There are probably a few open bugs
about Wine on MacOS too, you might have a look at those.

Good luck,
--Juan