On 4/30/12 1:37 AM, Eric Pouech wrote:
This is because you _cannot_ install the 32-bit -dev packages onto
12.04.  It's not just symlinks that are missing, many of the header
files are different between the arches.
I'm not sure this is a generic rule, and if it were, then exclusion
between i386 and x86_64 should be defined on most dev packages, and
it's not the case
also note, that in some cases, arch specific headers are moved to arch
dependent directories (e.g. jpeg, glib...), which should also parallel
install of multi-arch libs
in any case, the job by ubuntu folks in 12.04 done is crappy, to say the least

Some context would help here:

In previous Ubuntus we ran into quite a few bugs (eg Wine's mpeg123 issues) that occurred because we used a "64-bit header file" with a 32-bit library and .so symlink. This in turn was because the package manager did not have a concept of foreign-architectures -- 32-bit support on Ubuntu64 was done by installing a giant omni-package called ia32-libs that contained every library that might ever be useful (plus some .so links).

Things are _much_ better in 12.04. Wine can actually be built and installed biarch as a user package! Ubuntu users are, for the first time, actually using 64-bit Wine when possible because the package manager understands multiarch and, more importantly, because the underlying libraries are coinstallable with themselves.

This was not done for the -dev packages yet due to lack of time -- getting the actual libraries in users hands so programs like Wine can work was much more important. So some foo-dev:i386 will install, but will erase foo-dev:amd64.

This is the downside people in this thread are complaining about: compiling 32-bit programs on a 64-bit Ubuntu install is now slightly more difficult. However, Wine is currently the _only_ piece of software I've encountered that needs to be built for both arches on the same machine in order to be usable. We are beautiful special snowflakes here: Wine developers who aren't using the build daemons is about the extent of the current use case.

Just do the chroot.  You will save yourself so much grief and it will
actually work.
if the ubuntu folks keep this state of mind, then they'll continue to sink
the best solution is then to pick up another distro
A+

I'm beginning to have memories of what happened when we removed gcc from the default install. Setting up a 32-bit chroot for building Wine should not be complicated -- I'll present a script to make it even easier soon. You can build in a single command and even use things like ccache and the like to speed it up.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie