On 12/11/2012 02:11 PM, Austin English wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Max TenEyck Woodbury
<m...@mtew.isa-geek.net> wrote:
On 12/11/2012 10:46 AM, Henri Verbeet wrote:

It will also pretty much just remove device selection on setup with
multiple audio devices, which is actually fairly common these days
with USB audio devices and HDMI outputs on graphics cards. I think the
correct approach would to work with upstream ALSA to fix things,
instead of just removing device enumeration.

I do not think this is a particularly good idea.  I do have two sound
systems on my machine and I have assigned each to different roles.  That
seems to work quite well.  What does not work well is leaving the role
set to 'default'.  That results in the selection of the highest latency
device with corresponding stutters and over-runs.  The current
requirement for selecting an output device is mildly annoying, but no
where near as annoying as being forced to use a faulty device.

You'd still be able to select a different device in the registry.

Replacing the ability to use a drop box in the app to select the audio
device with a 'regedit' session is not an improvement.  On the other
hand, I may not understand the impact of this proposal...