On 2013-07-01 18:13+0200 Peter Rosin wrote:

On 2013-06-29 18:33, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
Those have been mentioned before here, and I have looked at them.
Cygwin is a very large collection of software so the number of bugs
that are reported does not seem excessive to me, and for my personal
needs (building and testing software on the Cygwin platform) I will
only be using a subset of Cygwin so I may avoid encountering
some of these bugs. Furthermore, some of these bugs (e.g.,
problems resizing a GUI) are not showstoppers, and most of them are
quite old. At the same time the latest Wine is far superior to
Wine-1.4 so some of those bugs may have just disappeared.  I hope to
find out about the actual status of Cygwin on Wine
bugs once I can get setup.exe to work on Wine.

I would like to point out that it seems that the current bug does not
appear to be *in* setup.exe, but rather occurs when setup.exe runs
a bash post-install script, where the bash.exe that interprets the
script depends on cygwin1.dll. If my analysis is correct, the bug
would occur also when duplicating the actions of setup.exe manually.
You would have to also duplicate the actions of all post-install
scripts, which is certainly more work and more error-prone than
duplicating the download and unpacking of a few tarballs.

Hi Peter:

That analysis is absolutely correct, and the current hang I am getting
for that post-install script
(/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh) is a puzzler since that
occurs with or without the fork-fixed cygwin1.dll and the hang is new
behaviour compared to the result I got a month ago (obviously without
the fork-fixed cygwin1.dll) where I got an abort with an explicit
error message in agreement with the 24018 bug report. So I hope others
here with some cygwin experience will investigate further since I
might be doing something inadvertently different than before when I
replicated the behaviour reported in the 24018 bug report exactly.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science