{Pedro Lucas-Suporte Netcount} wrote:

I believe what you want to do is called "mirroring",

Except when it's called something else - different vendors use different terms.

it is a typical
interface command for L2/3 switches (Cisco, Xtreme Networks, etc).

...although not all switches implement it; low-end switches, which I suspect Chris Ling might have, as he said he had upgraded "an old 8 port hub" to a switch, might not support port miroring.

When you need to know (e.g. via Ethereal+Winpcap sniffing) what is going on
on switch port A, you just enable mirroring for port B and all the data
passing through port A goes also to port B.

See

        http://wiki.ethereal.com/SwitchReference

for information about enabling port mirroring on switches.  (If a switch
that implements port mirroring - or whatever the switch vendor calls it
- isn't described there, please update it; it is, after all, a Wiki....
 For that matter, if a switch *doesn't* support it and the Wiki doesn't
mention that, please update it....)