I just realized - reading more of this thread - that you were
experiencing the problem even when not running a capture program. Then
look at my suggestion below the other way around: start with the state
of "stealing" IPs, and remove - one at a time - various programs
running, until the process stops (no more ARP responses). You can use
pslist and pskill
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml) for that
(or task manager?!?), in conjunction with procexp ... a second non-IP
bound trace could also help ...

Stef