Juim,
this is my home-made traffic generator:
- get a Gigabit switch (I use an HP switch, but i have tested this procedure also with Cisco's) with STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) support
- disable STP (i.e. the switch cannot detect loops)
- put a cross cable between two ports (i.e. you create a loop)
- connect a PC on another port and send a broadcast packet (i.e. ping the broadcast address)
- at this point your switch is in loop forever (i.e. you have a traffic generator that can send as fast as possible your 'seed packet')
- disconnect the PC and connect your test box

Using the ping options (e.g. -s) you can tune the packet size that loops. The disadvantage of this approach is that you always receive the same packets at high-speed.

Enjoy, Luca

Juim wrote:

Hello,

I’ve been playing around with the tg (traffic
generator) sample program included in the newest
release version (3.0). On a pair of 100 Mbits Ethernet
NICs, connected via a cross over cable, I can achieve
around 67 Mbits/sec - close to the real world maximum.
However, on a pair of GigE NICs (connected via a cross
over cable) I can only achieve around 132 Mbits/sec.
Is there something I’m missing? I’d like to generate
traffic as close to gigabit speeds as I can. Any
suggestions? Thanks for any help.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

================================================================== This is the WinPcap users list. It is archived at http://www.mail-archive.com/winpcap-users@winpcap.polito.it/

To unsubscribe use mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Luca Deri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being
clever about it - Richard Stallman