Hi all,

If I'm not mistaken replay attacks are checked here [1] and only compare integers with no reference to local time of the receiving node.

The sending nodes timestamp is generated via tai64n_now [2][3]. From my understanding this function could simply be changed to a auto increased counter, periodically saved on disc and increased on boot, following the approach described by Axel Neumann[4]. Mixing real timestamps and counter should be compatible to one another. Only drawback is see is that the overview function is likely mixed up [5].

All could be done by a patch specifically for HW-clock less devices or added to OpenWrt buildroot only[6].

Any reasons why such a patch could be bad?

[1]: https://github.com/WireGuard/WireGuard/blob/ddb82700a810c3f929e5a2fff00254b29eadc689/src/noise.c#L454 [2]: https://github.com/WireGuard/WireGuard/blob/ddb82700a810c3f929e5a2fff00254b29eadc689/src/noise.c#L353 [3]: https://github.com/WireGuard/WireGuard/blob/ddb82700a810c3f929e5a2fff00254b29eadc689/src/noise.c#L396
[4]: https://github.com/bmx-routing/bmx7/blob/semtor/bmx.c#L1397
[5]: https://github.com/WireGuard/WireGuard/blob/a7f2ceacb9ee09ab37302cddc0ce15a96fd95e70/src/tools/show.c#L25 [6]: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/tree/master/package/network/services/wireguard/patches

Just a few thoughts regarding GPS:

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Steve Gilberd <st...@erayd.net> wrote:
> $20 would increase the HW cost of many typical community-networks (CN) deployments significantly.

This seems unlikely. In most cases, $20 is notably less than the cost of a single node.

I'd doubt that. People massively use TP-Link 841 (~20$, 100%) or Uqiquity Nanobeams (~60$, 34%) as node hardware.

> Plus requiering more knowledge, maintenence, and power supply for sometimes solar-powered setups... no USB.

If that's a concern, then put the GPS on nodes where those constraints aren't a problem. You only need GPS on a few nodes (or one node if you don't care about redundancy). Most nodes will get by just fine with just plain NTP, and can happily fetch their time from the GPS nodes, or from other non-GPS nodes with a correct time sync.

This was already answered and found as unusable as it introduces additional configuration of all nodes, firewall rules, etc?

> It is really NOT as simple as it sounds to plug a $20 GPS !!!

It's not particularly complicated either. The actual setup of the devices isn't particularly difficult, and you're already touching these nodes to set up wireguard on them, so "I have to touch the config" isn't a barrier in this case.

Opening and closing (in a waterproof manner) the previously mentioned Nanobeam is not particularly trivial. Also it introduces a whole stack of device specific knowledge. As stated before, this changes the configuration from "enter wireguard credentials" to "{open, buy additional, glue} hardware, setup {wireguard, gps, more?}.

For me it looks like a problem solvable in software (as done for the BMX routing protocol). Why even bother to get hardware involved?

Sunshine,
Paul