Twenty potential users per AP is exactly what we have for our largest
ResWireless location although we could infill with a second AP dropping
this to 10 students per AP.

This complex is 700 students and we have 35 APs (with a potential of 70
total).  Since this is a wireless only location (because cabling was too
expensive), I wouldn't go much higher than that for the "students per
AP" ratio.

Two other locations have about 8 users per AP because of the type of
building.

It wasn't cost effective for us to look at special solutions like Vivato
for these locations. We decided to follow the same model (and equipment)
as the main campus wireless network (for now).

We do not allow servers on reswireless (but will tolerate them if they
do not impact other users).

... Jonn Martell, Manager, UBC Wireless

John Hofmann wrote:

One obvious (to me) rule of thumb is to try to have no more than about
20 connections per access point.