John Watters wrote:
Where can we find a good list of the MAC address ranges for wireless access
points? If I just look
by manufacturer (see http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml) I do
not see a distinction
between their access points & their NICs, switches, routers, and other network
equipment?

I'm not aware that there is such a list. Even if there was, I imagine it'd be continuously out of date.

As I mentioned earlier, our technique is to capture an AP beacon frame
and extract the MAC address in the beacon frame. (Usually, the WLSE does
that part of the job for us, although we do occasionally wander around
with netstumbler.)

Once we have the MAC from the beacon, we just query our network
management database for all mac addresses that are similar, except for
the last octet eg:
'select * from macdb where mac like "nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:%"'.

We then investigate any wired MAC addresses that turn up in the search.
So far, this method has worked for all the rogues we've investigated..

I expect that sooner or later we'll find some APs that don't have
sequential MAC addresses, but that's just the way it goes.

-JEff