Hello,

In the wireless study, I did try to address some of the general steps that
schools have taken to address guest access/open access on the wireless
network. Below gives a brief description of my findings:

In a "closed only" network implementation where only authorized users (such as
faculty and students) can access the wireless network, guests can be granted
access to the wireless network once they are "sponsored" by an authorized
faculty or employee. Otherwise, they must request access, well in advance, and
provide MAC address or other credentials.

In both a "closed and open" network implemenation where certain areas
are "closed" for student and employee access only, and others are "open"
(hotspots), school indicated different access policies for guests. Some
schools indicated that guests or unauthorized users are directed to a service
providerÂ’s network if they try to log on to the campusÂ’ network. Here, they
are obliged to pay for the wireless access. Other schools leave access points
that cover the library or conference rooms "open" so that a guest (authorized
or unauthorized) can access the wireless network for free but they are granted
limited access to network resources such as the internet.

Regards,
Saccheen Martin
(Graduate student in the department of Telecommunications at SUNYIT)