UBC rolled out our WPA network this summer on 802.1x PEAP. Our next milestone is fast-roaming support by caching the PMKs - not too sure if we really have to wait for WPA2 or not....

We expect 20000 unique users this year... We are actively encouraging users to move from the standard campus wireless network to the WPA network. With the WPA network, we can start sending back various VLAN assignments which is the best way to continue to scale.

1. Not using Kerberos
2. Not using Active Directory (it's used mostly for Exchange Admin email)
3. Using native supplicants at all cost :-) . Maintaining 3rd party software on Windows works on a small scale but can be a disaster on a large scale. All that's required is a new service pack from Microsoft (not that Microsoft would actively try to break other supplicants; it's just not a priority for them). The trick to supporting PEAP is to store the MSCHAPv2 hashes in your backend. Using RADIATOR as it provides a commercial supported source option (best of both worlds).

It would have been better to see native support for TTLS but Microsoft IEEE 802.11 members confirmed that MS had no plans for it (surprise, surprise). With students bring all types of laptops on campus, starting to support a "network client" bring us back to late 80's-early 90's. Been there done that... Good way to kill your HelpDesk :-) We see no problems with PEAP MSCHAPv2 with long passwords. We implemented it to prepare for native Windows 802.1x support and to support PPTP VPN (also native). This was very beneficial for the "Version 1" wireless network because PPTP ended up being supported on most non-windows platform as native VPN client (Mac, Linux, Palms etc).... Although we support both IPSec (for higher security) and PPTP (for simplicity), most people felt ok with PPTP.

... Jonn Martell, Manager - UBC Wireless