Our VOIP over Wireless pilot uses WPA-PSK and we won't release devices that exposes the PSK. I think that's the best way to deploy secure VOIP over wireless in the short term. Not ideal, as Frank says, vendors aren't very far along.

My prediction is that secure VOIP (at the application layer) will open the floodgates on all VOIP (including VOIP over wireless)... We're already starting to see this with Skype... The days for insecure VOIP are numbered IMHO.

... Jonn Martell, Manager UBC Wireless (Wireless and VOIP Project Manager)

on 11/29/2005 1:41 PM Frank Bulk said the following:

Hear-hear, but the Wi-Fi handset vendors are by far and large not that far
long in the thought process....

Frank
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Griego [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:33 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] [SCFN] <offtopic> VoIP eavesdropping (fwd)

This highlights the exact reasons that VoFi systems *should* use 802.1x
authentication with per-station keys.  That way, each handset has its own
key to encrypt its traffic over the air with, stopping the easy sniffing of
traffic passing through the air.  This, of course, does nothing for
beyond-the-AP sniffing, but it is presumed that is handled by other security
measures in the environment.

--Mike

Michael Griego
Wireless LAN Project Manager
The University of Texas at Dallas

Lee Barken wrote:
Any comments?  (Originally sent to socalfreenet.org)