Title: WIRELESS-LAN Digest - 17 Jan 2006 to 19 Jan 2006 (#2006-10)
We're about to do a bake-off here at Syracuse for an upcoming issue of Network Computing Magazine. We're still finalizing our test-plan, but from a performance standpoint, we plan to look at QoS, roaming, load-balancing, failover, security, and scalability, at least to the degree that our test tools will allow for this. I think basic AP performance has commoditized, so I don't think we'll look at basic rate-versus-range performance, but we might look at performance in multi-mode client environments, with a mix of a, b, and g clients.

If you haven't read it, you may want to check out Frank Bulk's review from February of last year. Frank is a former college network administrator and he spent a couple years here at Syracuse completing is MS degree so he has a pretty good feel for what's important. A lot has changed since then but it will at least give you a feel for some of the evaluation criteria we thought were worth considering:

As for the decision between Aruba and Cisco, I think you will find that they both have solid offerings and would likely be suitable for a large campus environment. It's likely that the most important decision-points won't be performance-related. As you may know, Aruba won the deal for Microsoft's network and while it's quite possible that Microsoft was looking for a reason NOT to purchase Cisco, it's unlikely they would have gone with Aruba if they didn't think their stuff would scale.

There are some interesting feature-differentiators that you may want to consider. Cisco offers some interesting advanced capabilities with CCX-compatible clients. I realize many of you don't favor proprietary enhancements, but the reality is that all of the major clients out there now support CCX, so it is pretty much a free add-on if you use Cisco infrastructure. Also, Cisco now offers a mesh AP, which may be important to some campuses and it is unlikely you will see that from Aruba anytime soon. On the other hand, Aruba offers some interesting twists of their own, including a unique security model that handles crypto functions on the controllers rather than AP's and also provides a per-user firewall capability that provides for more granular authorization, prioritization, etc. I also like Aruba's branch-office controllers and personal AP's, though those features are likely to be of more appeal to a distributed enterprise than to a University.

Another important factor relates to whether you want to do business with a multi-billion dollar company like Cisco or a $100 million company like Aruba. There is certain amount of security in dealing with Cisco, especially if they are already a business partner. On the other hand, Aruba might be characterized as a little hungrier, which sometimes translates into a willingness to bend over backwards to please every customer.

dm
Dave Molta
Assistant Professor
Assistant Dean for Technology
Director, Center for Emerging Network Technologies
Syracuse University
School of Information Studies
206 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244