From: Philippe Hanset [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 10:19 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] encryption options for clients

Matt,

It's an complex intricate mess!
A lot to do with the Card and Driver,
then the Supplicant! (except in Mac-OSX when Hardware/Driver and
Supplicant are all provided by the vendor)

WPA2 (requires an AES chip in card):
-supported in MACs with a recent OS and a Airport extreme
 (WPA2 enterprise (enterprise refers to 802.1x with
  the whole EAP type, RADIUS etc...)
-supported in Windows if the card does and has an appropriate driver
 (or native support in Windows)
-don't know about other (than the Mac) Unix flavors
 I have seen Proxim's (a/b/g gold card) support somewhere

WPA (requires a RC4 chip, 114 bit encryption + 48 bit IV support: 152
bits)
-supported in MACs (WPA enterprise)
-supported in Windows if card does and has an approriate driver
 (or native Windows support)
-I have seen many other Unix flavors supporting it, but it's
 about the card and the driver.

Dynamic WEP (requires a RC4 chip, 40 or 114 bit encryption, 24 bit IV: 64
or 128 bits)
supported by most, but weak.
BTW: weak, but after all it is just encryption over the air,
    after that you still end up on an unencrypted wired network!

Doesn't really provide a nice compatibility matrix,
but it changes so much, that you might spend your time
updating the matrix!