From: Jonn Martell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 2:23 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] <SPAM> Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] wireless guest access

What we did at UBC, was to allow any faculty and staff to "sponsor"
guests.  Much like a faculty member can grant a visiting faculty
member the use of their office, meeting room etc. we felt it sense to
allow them to do this for network access.

The Faculty/Staff is effectively responsible to properly identify the
user by providing all the details and ultimately, the sponsors are
responsible since they granted them access. Since I left IT last year,
I won't comment on things that aren't public.

For non-affiliated commercial users, the two options available was to
create a commercial/hotspot service to validate users based on billing
information or just partner with a commercial Hotspot provider.

Last summer, the decision was made to partner with a private sector
operator for a one year pilot/trial.  So UBC students, staff and
faculty have free roaming to Fatport locations in exchange for Fatport
selling commercial services on campus via a dedicated SSID/BSSID which
they are responsible for on the AUP side of things.  Not a bad
approach if you have the size to attract the commercial provider(s).

I can't provide any information except what is in the public domain;
please refer to the URLs below for more specific info and contact
information.

http://www.it.ubc.ca/internet/wireless/fatport.html
http://fatport.com/aboutus/press_releases/press58.php

It should be interesting to see if the trial agreement turns into a
long term one.

Jonn Martell, PMP, CWNE, CWNT
Martell Consulting, www.martell.ca
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tech instructor - UBC [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 2/26/07, Landau, Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At LMU we have a guest/visitor account that a faculty/staff member can
> request the password to and we change the password periodically.  This
is
> akin to what Ken Connell indicated they're doing at Ryerson Univ.
>
> Our library also provides paid admittance to the Library for people in
the
> community and they give out the password when that is done.  This was
> initially a concern, but we learned that libraries are exempt from
CALEA.

> -Gary
>
> Gary Landau, CISSP, CCNP
> Director | Network Services
> Loyola Marymount University
> Information Technology
> One LMU Drive | Los Angeles, CA 90045
> p.310.338.4434  f.310.338.2326
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://its.lmu.edu

Wireless
> guests, you should be considering wired as well)
>
> *       Currently we have NO guest access on wireless.
>
> *       We recently changed all our "public lab" computers to use AD
> authentication (e.g. no more public/guest access)
>
> *       We use CCA in reshalls and enable the guest button JUST FOR
THE