Hi William-

Did you set minimum hardware/OS specs for the network- I'm wondering
what "those who opt out for support reasons" in your case amounts to.

Thanks for the info.

Lee

Lee Badman
Network/Wireless Engineer
Syracuse University
315 443-3003

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/18/2007 5:30 PM >>>
We are half-way through the time period allotted for our 802.1x
deployment -- but are only at 13% adoption (out of a total of ~22K
users/week).  Complete conversion is scheduled by 8/1/07.  A locally
developed web-redirect system is being utilized by the others.  The ones
who have adopted 802.1X are reportedly pleased.

Phase 1, it was first made available 11/06.  We did not make
installation scripts available, but have lots of documentation (mistake,
it is not possible for a mere mortal to follow the 15 step XP
installation process).  We had flyers/notices, and offers of extra
bandwidth for those that moved (we account/limit bandwidth consumption
-- ~5% through bandwidth grants).  We believe growth since December is
due to word of mouth.

Now we are moving to phase 2.  Adoption is required by policy.  We
developed locally an installation application for XP users that includes
service packs related to 802.1X.  We have added an exceptions process
for ill-supported platforms so users may opt-out -- which is recorded
under their signature for later audits (and required yearly).  We will
likely begin some form of active email and web-redirect splash screen
nagging April-July with increasing intensity for users that have not
moved.

Phase 3, August 1, the plan is for campus users to only be allowed to
utilize 802.1X.  The web-redirect will be reserved for guests and those
who opt out for support reasons (and we are contemplating bandwidth
restrictions presently applied to guest [256Kbps] to be extended to all
users).  The phased approach was necessary for our size.  Don't know
what the fall crunch will bring.

System updates which drop support for 802.1X (Apple on certain hardware
platforms) have been a support problem.

At 11:00 PM 3/16/2007, you wrote:
>> My questions after all this- for those who have recently moved to
one
>> 802.1x in conjunction with the usual rigors of the start of a new
>> academic year- how did you transition users over to 802.1x? What
worked,
>> what failed? Was there a tidal wave of support calls? Did a
supplicant
>> configuration tool prove to be essential, or were instructions on
>> manually configuring the native Windows and Mac supplicants
sufficient?

William C. Green                          e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director, Networking                      phone:   +1 512-475-9295
ITS (Information Technology Services)     fax:     +1 512-471-2449
University of Texas
1 University Station Stop C3800
Austin, TX  78712