Other universities have already seen this... Duke Runs Cisco LWAPP I
believe.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:53 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] IPhones flooding wireless LAN at Duke
University

This was the note that I posted on the list last Friday.

To summarize, we began seeing problems on 7/2. Last week we observed the
problem roughly once/day, and it did recur on Monday. In each case, we
have had a ~10 minute period of time where we observed a substantial
amount of ARP traffic from an iPhone. We got traffic captures from 3
different iPhones (we did not react fast enough in the other incidents
to get captures). In each case the traffic looks like:

[MAC Address of iPhone] > [MAC Address B] ARP who-has [IP A] tell [IP B]

Where MAC Address B "looks" like the MAC address of a home router of
some sort (OUI is assigned to such a manufacturer).

IP A looks like a home router gateway IP (192.168.1.1, 10.0.1.1,
192.168.2.1, etc)

IP B looks like an IP that might be assigned on a home router
(192.168.1.5, etc)

We have been testing and reviewing all of our infrastructure to see if
anything is out of order. So far, no changes have been made.

We have, unfortunately, not been able to replicate the issue in a
controlled environment. We have spoken to the last two individuals who's
phones were the identified MAC address. They were walking across campus
and moved between major wireless zones. There is typically a buffer
between zones where there is no wireless coverage. The zones use the
same SSID. Otherwise there was nothing unusual about what they were
doing with the phones.

-Kevin

Tim M. Crawford wrote:
> I don't know if others are experiencing this. If there are folks from
> Duke on the list, can you share your findings?
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/071607-duke-iphone.html
>
> Tim
EDUCAUSE