Bentley, Douglas wrote:
We had quite a few issues moving forward with 4.2.62. If you have configuration issues after upgrading to 4.2.62 - DON'T - try to load a backup config file from 4.xxx code to the new 4.2.62 WLCs. I made this error and put 5 - WLCs (2.5 WiSMs) back to the install wizard. We had to manually console into the WiSMs and start from new.

We ran into this on a 4404. The solution was to connect to the console, clear the config NVRAM and then boot the 4.1 "backup" image. Once on the backup image, do enough of the configuration script to get the WLC on the network and D/L your saved 4.1 config. Then, save the config to flash and restart the controller on the main 4.2 image.
The boot process will do the config upgrade for you.

The release notes say they switched from a binary file to an XML based
file format. I'd have thought the config process would be a little more robust and able to handle both versions.. Guess not.

-JEff