-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Howd, Walt
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:40 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Question on layer 3 size

With our Cisco WiSM we run a 21 bit mask VLAN for students and a second
21 bit mask VLAN for faculty/staff using VLAN assignment.

In our setup, multicast and broadcast packets are disabled on the
wireless VLANS so the large size is not an issue.

This was actually a nice feature of the controller. Broadcast traffic
that needs to work (ARP, etc) gets answered by the controller and
everything else (windows file sharing, etc) gets dropped. We don't have
any applications that we support on wireless that require broadcast or
multicast so this was an easy choice.

Walt