Larry Press wrote:
I just saw the comic and I can tell you that it is very true.

For more along these lines see:

http://cis471.blogspot.com/2008/03/characteristics-of-todays-students.html

I also "audited' a class via podcast from Harvard Law School:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/

where there was a lot of discussion of whether and how students should be allowed to use Laptops during class.

Do you all encourage or discourage it?

Personally, when I teach, I ask the students with laptops to sit in the back of the class. That's because when I'm taking classes, there is very little more irritating than someone sitting in the front, with their screen visible to the whole classroom, noodling around on the Internet or playing video games.

The typical student response is "I paid for this class, so I can do what I like if you're making me attend". Ignoring the implicit assumption that I should cater to the customer, I can see where they're coming from; but that doesn't give them the right to annoy and distract the other students in the class.

Given something like a law school, which I imagine has a pedagogical bent much more Socratic and discussion-oriented than the average class, I can imagine that having a large number of students distracted and unresponsive could really ruin the teacher's flow.

Now, leaving my own personal feelings aside, Canisius College as a whole doesn't have a policy on this. Every classroom building has wireless access, and we allow the professors to deal with classroom management policies.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  [EMAIL PROTECTED]