From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Ryan
Lininger
Sent: Tue 7/1/2008 10:34 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Using MAC Authentication

We have been considering something similar.  Our thought was to use MAC
authentication via radius to our wired NAC system.  The idea being that
if they registered their system then the MAC would be in the database
and they wouldn't get the captive portal at login.  (Before I get
flamed, our NAC registers all NIC's, wired and wireless, at the time of
registration.)  This is just a theory here at the moment so I can't
speak to the effectiveness, usage, etc. but I like the idea.

The main concern I have related to MAC authentication, however, is MAC
spoofing.  It is very easy to spoof a wireless MAC address so if that is
your form of authentication then it is very easy to bypass your
authentication.

Ryan Lininger
Network Systems Engineer
Denison University