When I went looking for midspans back in June/July, there was only one that
actually supported the required Cisco signaling to enable high-power mode on
the AP. The midspan is/was the PhiHong POE125U-4HP four port unit. The other
midspans required a dongle at the AP to split the power back off for input into
the AP's power jack. PhiHong is the OEM behind Cisco's single-port injector for
the AP1252, and I believe the 4-port is also coming soon under a Cisco label.

best,
Jeff

>>> Tim Cantin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/14/08 8:10 AM >>>
> Midspans have been available for several months now -- when were you
looking?

From
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/pro
d_qas0900aecd806b7c82.html :

Q. Will third-party Power over Ethernet mid-span devices be able to
consistently power the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series?
A. No interoperability testing has been done with third-party Power over
Ethernet mid-span devices.

Is anyone who is using those mid-spans concerned about not getting support?
I wonder if Cisco has done any testing since this Q&A document was written.

We're opting for the 3560-E's (placing our first order next week, so no war
stories yet)

-Tim

---
Tim Cantin, Senior Network Engineer
Wellesley College, IS/Technology Infrastructure Group
223 Simpson Hall East, 106 Central Street
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02481-8203
http://www.wellesley.edu/~tcantin/
phone: (781)283-3520 fax: (781)283-3682